Monday, September 14, 2015

It take a Village

There are some days I sit and cry.  I cry with frustration, with tiredness, with negative thoughts that I can't be the mom my boys need.  And every single time I have had a moment, or even a full day like this I have had a friend or family member reach out to me and offer to help, or just talk, or even just take a drive around the block.  (Sodalicious has become a major stress relief in my life.) I can't tell you how grateful I am for these moments, and for the village Will and I have formed to help raise our two special boys. 

People often ask "What can we do to help?"  or "Do you and Will need anything?" 
We don't know how to answer this.  Our personalities are not one who ask for help.  We like to serve.  We like to help and be helpful to others.  So asking for help is hard.  But we are learning. 

There are not many people who can watch Max and Dexter.  They are hard boys and I totally understand make people nervous.  Dexter is so anxious to be without Will or myself and will cry for hours.  Max can bolt at a moments notice, and honestly that scares me.  Then Max and Dexter both have sensory issues with food.  So we tend to do everything as a family.  We go everywhere together and travel as a pack.  It is just easier. 

There have been so many people who have helped us.  So many people who have come to our rescue and have made our lives easier.  The emails of support, the texts on hard days, and the middle of the phone calls mean the world to us.  Will and I feel so lucky to have such a huge village.  It is the stranger in the food store who helps me when both of the boys are melting down in the busy parking lot.  Then there are the group of BYU boys who live across the street from us who have on multiple occassions cleaned up our outside toys and have saved Max when he has run into the street.  These acts of kindness make me have so much faith in humanity. 

This past weekend we took part in The Utah Walk for Autism Speaks.  We created a team for Spaceship Max.  We didn't have any expectations for the walk and we really just wanted to go and be a part of the Autism Speaks event.  I was blown away by the support we had.  We had many who supported us by donating to our team and then we had a great group of friends who came and walked with us.  The event was loud, which for an Autism event was strange, but all and all it was a great morning!  Our family is blessed with so much support.

I love my family!  
Super hero dad



No comments:

Post a Comment