Monday, July 11, 2016

My Mom and Max Run Together

Just the other day my dad commented, "The perfect Rust family day is a run in the morning and the rest of the day spent relaxing at the beach." Running literally (okay, metaphorically) runs in my veins. It is a part of my genetic make-up. It is my constant, my first love. My mother taught me this at an early age. I remember going to the 4th of July 10K Race at Washington Crossing State Park with my family.  It was a yearly tradition that my dad would run the mile fun run with Brandon and I, and then my parents would run the 10k together.  Running is something that defines us as a family.  The shores of New Jersey are one of our most favorite places on planet Earth. My very first race that I ever ran in High School was along the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore.  It was symbolic of the many years of running I had ahead.    
My mom passed away August 3rd, 2009 from Melanoma cancer.  Soon after, my family created The Light Up the Room Foundation.  Using Karen's story as a guide, the Light Up the Room Foundation provides support for abused children, victims of cancer, and cancer research.  Each year my family holds the Angels Run to raise money for the Light Up the Room Foundation.  
This year, in addition to raising money for this foundation my brother, Brandon will be raising money for his participation in the New York City Marathon.  He will be running on the Run for Autism Marathon Team as part of the Organization for Autism Research (OAR) in November.  
 "This is a cause that is dear to my heart as both of my nephews, Dexter and Max, are on the autism spectrum.  I have witnessed first-hand the transformation that both of my nephews have gone through when given the right type of support, and it truly is life changing."  -Brandon Rust.

OAR provides research and support for individuals and families with Autism, catering their care to match the needs of the individual--a must for any child along the spectrum.  To help support OAR and Brandon's marathon cause, please visit:


Additionally, the Angels Run 5k at Hopewell Vineyards is taking place on September 24th in Pennington, NJ. A portion of the proceeds from that day will go towards supporting Brandon’s marathon effort.  To register for the race, please visit:


This year I am so excited to be traveling back East for the Angels Run.  In addition to my attendance, the Master of Ceremony, Max will be there!  It is going to be wonderful to see so many people who have not only supported my mom, but also to thank those who have supported Spaceship Max.  I am looking forward to an amazing trip and can't wait to see all of my friends and family at the Angels Run on September 24th.  
Thank you for the support!
Love,
Team Spaceship Max





No comments:

Post a Comment